US House Resolution 620 - ADA Education and Reform Act of 2017
To amend the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 to promote compliance through education, to clarify the requirements for demand letters, to provide for a notice and cure period before the commencement of a private civil action, and for other purposes.
- Requires the Department of Justice's Disability Rights Section to develop a program to educate state and local governments and property owners on strategies for promoting access to public accommodations
- Before filing a lawsuit an individual must do the following
- Provide a written notice to a property owner of the barrier
- Allow owner 60 days to provide individual a written description of improvements being made to remove the barrier
- Allow owner 120 days to either remove or make substantial progress on removing a barrier
Representative Ted Poe
LINK TO BILL:
Introduced in the House on January 24, 2017
Referred to Committee on January 24, 2017
Committee Hearing on September 7, 2017
Reported out of Committee on September 7, 2017
Passed the House with a vote of 225-192
Received in the Senate on Febraury 26, 2018
This bill did not pass during the 2017-2018 legislative session.