Download the PDF version of this document

When you get help from your county office of the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services (ODJFS) you have the right to:

Equal Access to Programs

Each person must have the same ability to get help from a program. Each person must meet the program requirements and follow the rules. If you have a disability that slows or stops you from following the rules, then you can get an accommodation. An accommodation may be extra time or more supports to help you follow the rules, it can even mean changing the rules for you in some cases.

A Person-Centered Approach

No one can tell you that you cannot get an accommodation because you do not have a certain disability or disease. If you have any condition that limits your major life activities, you can get an accommodation. Examples of major life activities are walking, talking, hearing, seeing, taking care of yourself without help and many others. The condition can be physical, mental or cognitive.


If you are asking for an accommodation, you may be asked to give information about your condition. This could include records from your doctor. This information must be kept private.

Physical Accessibility

You must be able to get into the building that you need to go to. This includes the Job and Family Services office and other places you need to go to receive help, such as a work assignment or other government buildings.

Grievance Rules

If you are told that you cannot get help and you disagree, you can tell someone about it. This is called “filing a grievance.” You need to tell someone that you would like to file a grievance within ten days. The best way to do this is contact the ADA Coordinator. The ADA coordinator is the person whose job it is to make sure that people’s rights are respected. You can also tell the Bureau of Civil Rights at the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services.

Americans with Disabilities Act Plans

Each County Job and Family Services Office has a plan that tells them how to protect the rights of people with disabilities. If you would like to see a copy of the plan, you can ask at the Job and Family Services Office.

If you have a question about your rights, you can call Disability Rights Ohio at 800-282-9181; (TTY) 800-858-3542 and press 2 for the intake department. Disability Rights Ohio can give you information about your rights and help answer your questions.

Make a Donation

Please give. To the best of your ability.