section decoration triangle

Links from "Self-Advocacy for Transition-Aged Youth"

General Advocacy Tips

Peer to Peer Support-

Working with your School District

Succeeding in Education After High School

OOD Resources List

OOD Partnerships

Client Assistant Program:

Postsecondary Training Resources:

Help with Getting and Keeping a Job

  • You can start online by visiting On this site, you can answer questions to help you decide if VR services are right for you. If you think VR services are right for you, you will make a profile and apply for services. You can also apply by phone at your local OOD field office by visiting www.OOD.Ohio.Gov or calling 800-282-4536.
  • Ohio’s Client Assistance Program (CAP) is at Disability Rights Ohio (DRO). DRO’s CAP team can give you information about VR services and help if you: cannot get VR services, don’t like your counselor, are not happy with the services you are getting, do not agree with a decision to close your case, and other problems with VR services. To receive help from CAP, you can call DRO’s Intake Department by phone Monday through Friday at (800) 282-9181 option 2, or online at
  • Request an Appeal: If you do not like your VR services, you can request an appeal by emailing or by writing to:
    Executive Director, OOD
    400 E. Campus View Blvd.
    Columbus, OH 43235
  • If you feel you are being or have been treated unfairly by your counselor or an OOD provider, then you may file a complaint with OOD’s Division of Human Resources, Equal Employment Opportunity office by calling 1-800-282-4536. You may also contact the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education. More information is located online at

Guardianship and Supported Decision Making

Supported Decision Making Resources

Resources on Guardianship

Working with Your County Board of Developmental Disabilities

Social Security Benefits

  • You can use your STABLE account for living expenses such as rent, bills, and food, and other expenses like clothing for a job or books for school. The STABLE account can be easily set up at The website also has more information about how much you can put into the account and who can add money to your account. If you would like more help setting up the account or have additional questions there is also a number on the website to call.
  • Social Security has a booklet that should come with the letter about your Age-18 Redetermination. This booklet has information on the process and ways you can get help. Here is the link-
  • Social Security also has an online tool called My Social Security Account to keep up to date with what is going on with your Social Security benefits, which you can find here:

What to Know About Criminal Justice

Resources on Access and Accommodation:

Victim Service Organizations:

Vicitms' Rights Resources: 

Human Trafficking Resources:

Other Criminal Justice Resources:

Autism and Safety Toolkit: Safety Tips for Self-Advocates-
AACs Safety Planning Guides – assisted and independent
The ARC-Safety Planning Template:
Reporting Abuse: A Fact Sheet for Self-Advocates-

General Resources:

Valid as of 05/25/21

 Getting Healthcare and Other Services

You can ask for a state hearing by calling or writing to the Bureau of State Hearings:

Getting and Keeping a Place to Live

Legal Assistance

You can search for your relevant Legal Aid by county here: or by phone here: 866-LAW-OHIO (866-529-6446)

Or you can find each Legal Aid organization at their websites or by phone here:

Legal Aid of Western Ohio:

Southeast Ohio Legal Services:

Community Legal Aid Services (Northeast Ohio)

Greater Cincinnati Legal Aid:

Legal Aid Society of Cleveland:

Legal Aid Society of Columbus

Public Housing Authorities – These are the entities that administer public housing and housing vouchers in each county of Ohio

Apartment Search Resources – Each of these may have options in your area though it is best to always contact the apartment management directly if you have questions or concerns. Each site may have different tools that you can use and suit your needs in different ways. This is not an exhaustive list of resources.

Recovery and Mental Health Housing Resources

HUD Resources and Info

Reasonable Accommodations and Modifications

Fair Housing Enforcement Options – There is a 1-year statute of limitations to file with both of these entities

Getting Help with Healthcare and Other Services

Getting Help with Mental Health and Substance Use


  • Call 911
  • Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-8255
  • Text the Crisis Text Line by texting HOME to 741741 to connect with a Crisis Counselor
  • Franklin County Youth Psychiatric Crisis Line (for ages 17 and under): 614-722-1800
  • Netcare Access: Ages 18 and older 614-276-CARE (2273) or 888-276-2273.
  • St. Vincent Family Center’s Warm Line: Supportive for families and individuals experiencing emotional stress during this challenging time.
  • Phone: 614-358-6400
  • 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. Monday-Friday
  • The Steve Fund: Promotes the mental health of young people of color.
  • Text STEVE to 741741
  • Trevor Project (Call, Text, or Chat): For queer youth struggling with thoughts of suicide or self-harm, or needing a judgment-free space to talk.
  • Phone: 1-866-488-7386
  • Trans Lifeline is a hotline offering direct emotional support to transgender people in crisis. It is a peer support service run by transgender people, for transgender and questioning callers. The operators are located all over the U.S. and Canada and are all trans-identified. This hotline is for both for people in crisis and people needing someone to talk to, even if it’s just about whether or not that person is transgender.
  • Phone: 877-565-8860
  • BRAVO: GLBT teens can call the toll-free confidential helpline to receive survivor support and report hate and bias violence, discrimination, intimate partner violence, stalking and/or sexual assault.
  • Phone: 866-862-7286 Toll-free


Here is a script for talking/asking questions to provider about medications


  • CAP4Kids - The Children’s Advocacy Project  of Columbus, Ohio: Serves children – young adults
  • Half of Us:This website is dedicated to mental health education and helping teens find the resources they need. They explore depression, bipolar, cutting, eating disorders and more. Hear famous people share their stories.
  • Phone: 800-273-8255
  • Connect by Text: “START” to 741-741
  • Red Treehouse: This online resource supporting the physical, emotional, intellectual and social development of children and young adults, prenatal to age 25. The website helps families find resources, organizations and events to meet their specific needs and challenges. Users can customize profiles by location (counties within Ohio), age ranges and topics of interest.
  • Taking Charge: An online tool that focuses on teens, and answers questions about relationships, parenthood, education, housing, legal rights, LGBTQ, foster care, immigration, money management and more. Also, the website helps youth and young adults learn about their rights and responsibilities and other information they need to move with confidence through adulthood
  • LGBT National Help Center: Provides free, confidential telephone and email counseling, information and local resources. Telephone volunteers are in their teens and early twenties and speak with teens about coming-out issues, relationship concerns, parent issues, school problems, STDs and other issues.
  • National Youth Talkline: 800-246-7743
  • Black Girls Smile (BGS): Is recognized as one of the leading organizations focusing on black female mental wellness. Founded with a mission to provide young black women education, resources and support to lead mentally healthy lives. BGS' mission is grounded in research, focus group findings, and personal experiences highlighting the under-served and underrepresented mental health needs of young black women.
  • BLACKLINE: BlackLine provides a space for peer support and counseling, reporting of mistreatment, and affirming the lived experiences to folks who are most impacted by systematic oppression with an LGBTQ+ Black Femme Lens. BlackLine is non-judgmental, affirming and supportive, listener-witnessing and information gathering about your experience.
  • Phone: 1-800-604-5841.


  • Directions for Youth & Families (DFYF): Offers youth and their families mental, emotional and behavioral health programs and services. Licensed social workers and counselors provide counseling and clinical treatment programs addressing a range of issues including school concerns, sexual abuse, delinquency, domestic violence, family conflict, substance abuse and mental health issues.


Star House: A 24/7 drop-in center provides free and confidential assistance to homeless youth ages 14 to 24. Offers help with food, clothing, laundry, hygiene items, rest, internet services, telephone calls, linkages to community resources and counseling; as well as healthcare, education support, housing help, job-seeking skills and more.

Huckleberry House: Works with Central Ohio’s youth ages 12 to 24 and families who are dealing with issues like abuse, violence, neglect, poverty, and homelessness. Programs include Crisis Shelter, Transitional Living Program (Assists youth ages 17 to 21 with independent living skills, mental health support and securing living arrangements. Teens meet with counselors for free and confidential support), Outreach Program (YOP) & YOP Shop – Meet with youth ages 12 to 24, anywhere, to help connect or make aware of support that’s available in the community to help you with housing, education, employment, and other needs. YOP Shop is the location where that assistance can occur.)

  • Address: 1421 Hamlet St, Columbus, OH 43201
  • Hours: Open 24 hours
  • Phone: 614-294-5553

The Community Shelter Board: Community Shelter Board leads community efforts to help to make sure everyone has a place to call home in Columbus and Franklin County.


Gay-Straight Alliances: GSA clubs, or GSAs for short, are student-run organizations in high schools that unite LGBTQ+ and allied youth to build community and organize around issues impacting them in their schools and communities.  GSAs are voluntary for each school system.

Kaleidoscope Youth Center: Supports youth ages who are LGBTQ. They offer a range of programs and activities, including discussion groups, a housing program, social activities and leadership training.

  • Phone: 614-294-5437

Nationwide Children’s Hospital (NCH) THRIVE Program: A program that provides services for differences/disorders of sex development (DSD), complex urological conditions and gender concerns.

  • Phone: 614-722-5765

Mosaic: A health and wellness, HIV prevention, and community building initiative for transgender & gender non-conforming people of color ages 13-29.

Taking Charge: An online tool that focuses on teens, and answers questions about relationships, parenthood, education, housing, legal rights, LGBTQ, foster care, immigration, money management and more. Also, the website helps youth and young adults learn about their rights and responsibilities and other information they need to move with confidence through adulthood

LGBT National Help Center: Provides free, confidential telephone and email counseling, information and local resources. Telephone volunteers are in their teens and early twenties and speak with teens about coming-out issues, relationship concerns, parent issues, school problems, STDs and other issues.

  • National Youth Talkline: 800-246-7743


Break the Cycle: Provides in-depth dating abuse programs exclusively to young people ages 12 to 24. Teens can go online to ask confidential, anonymous questions about dating violence, learn facts about abuse and find out how to protect themselves. They also offer youth leadership and education opportunities, legal services and are involved with advocacy.

  • Connect by Text: Text “loveis” to 22522 to chat with a peer advocate 24/7

Mount Carmel Crime & Trauma Assistance Program (CTAP) Offers trauma-focused, best practice and trauma-specific services to children and adult victims, survivors, and co-survivors of crime and trauma at no cost.

Center for Family Safety & Healing: Addresses all aspects of family violence including child abuse and neglect, teen dating abuse, domestic violence and elder abuse.

My Project USA: Muslim Youth: A faith-based organization that support Muslim youth and families through youth development programs, parent education, help victims and at-risk individual of violence and abuse.

Ohio Hispanic Coalition: Offers several free services to the Latino community including: homework help, educational after school programs and summer camps; 24/7 translation and interpretation services for multiple languages, ESL and citizenship classes for adults; tobacco free program, free car seat checks, and support group for victims of domestic violence and sexual assault.

Sexual Assault Response Network of Central Ohio (SARNCO): Provides advocacy and emotional support services in conjunction with medical and social services at OhioHealth Emergency Departments and other local facilities in central Ohio. The 24-hour free, confidential local rape helpline offers emotional support, counseling referrals and community education for victims of sexual assault, rape, abuse and incest.

LSS Choices (intimate Partner Violence): Temporary Emergency Shelter with Kennel for Pets, 24-Hour Crisis Hotline, Domestic Violence Counseling, Legal Advocates, Peer Support Groups and Community Awareness Building

  • Phone: 614-224-HOME (4663)

Safe at Home Helps victims of domestic violence, stalking, human trafficking, rape, sexual abuse or members of the household of a victim of one of the previously listed offenses by shielding their personal information from public record and providing them with a safe and secure way to participate in voting.

  • Phone: 614-995-2255


Camp Lionheart: A summer program is a free, week-long, overnight grief camp for children and teens who have experienced the death of a parent, sibling, or primary caregiver. It’s full of activities such as swimming, hiking, games and crafts, while having structured grief group counseling sessions with trained, licensed professionals.


Safe Point Ohio (Equitas Health): Offers a limited program to provide increased access to naloxone, a medication used to reverse opioid overdose. Educates the community about safer drug use, fighting the spread of infectious disease, and providing drug treatment enrollment.

Alcohol Anonymous virtual meetings, visit AA Intergroup, AA Central Ohio online, or call Alcoholics Anonymous Central Ohio at 614-253-8501.

Narcotics Anonymous virtual meetings, visit NA Central Ohio, NA by phone or Virtual NA online or you can also contact Narcotics Anonymous Central Ohio helpline at 614-252-1700


Families Anonymous: A group for families and friends of those who are experiencing issues caused by drugs, alcohol, or related behavioral problems. Any concerned person is encouraged to attend their meetings, even if there is only a suspicion of a problem.

  • Overbrook Presbyterian Church - 4131 North High Street, Columbus, Ohio 43214
  • Phone: 614-237-2031 or 614-863-1193


If you are interested in finding support, there are online resources and hotlines to assist you through this time. You can access phone support by going to NAMI’s “Warm line.”

National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Franklin County: Provides support, advocacy and education to improve the quality of life for people with mental illness, and offer support to their families and close friends. Support groups, respite care and educational classes are available free of charge throughout Ohio for various ages and stages of development.

  • Website featuring 200+ online support groups

Online mental health support network that allows individuals to connect with others who are living with or supporting someone with mental health conditions, substance use disorders, and stressful life events

Offers a free, peer-to-peer online support community for those struggling with a wide range of mental health issues

Offers online mental health resources, quizzes, news, an “Ask the Therapist” function, and online support communities

Getting Help with Reproductive Health

  • Consent Determination
    • YAI – Phone (212) 273-6272

Options Counseling / Resources


Adoption Resources 

  • Pregnancy & Birthing Resources

Informational Resources -

Deciding Not to Parent Resources

Pregnancy & Infant Loss Resources

Doula Resources

Infertility Resources

Birth Trauma Resources

  • Parenting Resources

General -

  • National Parent Helpline - 1-855-427-2736
  • The Black Birth Experience


Breastfeeding Resources

Post-Partum Depression Resources

Sexual and Gender Based Violence Resources

Sexual Health & Education Resources

LGBTQ+ Resources

Disability Specific Resources

Legal/ Policy Resources

Basic Need Resources

Getting Help with Legal Services 

Seek help

Go to the Attorney General’s Website to find victim services in your area:

Call or go online to one of these sources:

    • Sexual abuse
      • Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network: 800-656-4673,
      • National Sexual Violence Resource Center: 877-739-3895,
      • Ohio Alliance to End Sexual Violence: 216-658-1381,
      • Ohio Sexual Violence Helpline: 844-644-6435,
    • Domestic violence (physical abuse by someone who lives in your home)
      • National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-7233,
      • Ohio Domestic Violence Network, 800-934-9840,
    • Human Trafficking:
      • National Human Trafficking Hotline: 888-373-7888, or text “HELP” or “INFO” to 233733, chat online:
    • Any crime:
      • Victim Connect Resource Center: 855-484-2846,
      • Crisis Text Line: text HOME to 741741,
      • Disability Rights Ohio, 614-466-7264,     
      • Ohio Crime Victims Justice Center, 614-848-8500,

Crime Victims’ Rights:

Information on CPOs:

Other Resources:

Human Trafficking Resources:

What to Know About Criminal Justice

Ohio State Bar Association - List of bar associations across the state for referral to an attorney

Legal aid services for low-income individuals may be able to provide you with legal help with many different legal issues (for example, credit card or other debt collection cases, bankruptcy, student loans, payday and car title loans, other consumer issues, family law issues like child custody, child support, divorce, housing issues such as evictions, fair housing violations, public benefits like Social Security, Medicaid, Medicare, food stamps, veterans benefits, wills, power of attorneys, guardianship issues, some tax issues, and help applying for naturalization).

Depending on the legal matters you need help with, you may be able to get help from other programs that offer free or low cost legal advice and help. Here is a list of organizations that provide low or no cost legal resources:

Some other links that may interest you :

What to Know About Voting

State of Ohio Resources and Forms

DRO Resources on Voting

Make a Donation

Please give. To the best of your ability.