The Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEA) gives you the right to look at all of your child's education records. This includes records about his or her identification as a student with a disability, evaluation, educational placement, and special education services. You also have the right to ask the school to explain and interpret the records for you. You may ask the school to give you a copy of your child's records. The school may charge you a reasonable fee for making a copy.
What might be some reasons to request copies of my child's school records?
School records contain valuable information about your child's strengths and areas of need. These records can provide a formal way of communicating between the professionals at your child's school, you, and other professionals who may work with your child. Here are some reasons you might have for requesting a copy of your child's records:
- Reviewing records lets you be sure that the records are correct and contain all necessary information.
- To see if your child is making progress and is receiving the services provided according to the Individualized Education Program (IEP).
- When your family is moving to a new school district, records may need to be sent.
- If you take your child for an independent evaluation, copies of past records may be useful.
- The records may help the staff at other programs your child attends (like camp, tutors, or private therapy) design their activities.
- Post-secondary programs may need to see copies of your child's records.
- To have a copy for your home files, especially if you need to prepare for an impartial due process hearing.
You can send the following sample letter by email or by mail.
Date (include month, day, and year)
Name of School Principal
Name of School
City, State, Zip Code
Dear (Name of Principal):
I am writing to schedule a time to come and review all of my child's records. My (son/daughter), (child's name), is in the (number of grade) grade at (name of school), in (teacher's name) class. I will also need copies of some or all of these records.
Please let me know where and when I can come in to see the records. I request to review these records by (date). You can reach me during the day at (give your phone number).
I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you for your assistance.
City, State, Zip Code
Daytime telephone number